new guy with a new(to me) 91 mr2.

new guy with a new(to me) 91 mr2.

auf >mr2com - showoff< wurde geschrieben:

hope you guys dont mind a novel, because i have plenty to talk about. and all these photos were cell phone, so my apologies for not having the best pictures.

so i have been wanting a mr2 project for awhile now, and i finally found one that needed some love... and maybe a better owner. so my best friend and I took off to dallas to get her.

30 minutes after i bought her, getting a new tire put on for the drive home. fairly clean exterior, although the trunk is bent so it pops up on one side, and the engine bay lid is a little off.

now heres where the fun starts. time to save this mr2 and give it the love it deserves.

here is the "custom" audio system...

and where do those wires lead? you guessed it!

problem solved.

ill eventually have to rewire some audio, and i fully plan on using the factory speaker locations. in fact, this car has some cheap brand aftermarket speakers in it. not sure why they werent being used. anyways heres a few pics of the interior condition.

as of right now, i havent gotten a replacement seat or steering wheel. i plan on just getting the 3 spoke toyota wheel if i can find one locally. at this point, we did the usual tune up, spark plugs, cap and rotor, etc.

we also did some paint polishing, i polished the factory exhaust tips, and i replaced all grounds with ones i made myself.

before:

after:

grounds:

i also replaced the battery terminals and the negative ground to the battery, but i dont have any photos of that.

now at this point we found a mr2 in a pick-n-pull in dallas, so i took off work on monday and my friend and i hopped in my ever trusty pick up and drove the 2 hours to get parts.

shes a beast.

and here we are.

well the trunk and engine lid was damaged, the sunroof was already taken(mine has a crack), and the interior was blue, so wasnt the best find. but i got the corner light i needed, the panel that sits between the tail lights, some misc. e.brake components, and few more things i cant think of. we searched the entire import section, and there was only one car with the 3 spoke steering wheel, a 7th gen celica, but the wheel was shredded up and i wasnt paying for a messed up item.

anyways everything fell apart at this point. i got some new tien springs, and then found out that my rear struts are toast, so i ordered some new strut inserts. then we found that the bleeder valves were sheared completely in half on the front calipers. tried drilling and reversing them out, but gave up and just ordered some used front calipers. ill save the old ones and maybe play with them in the future. at the moment i have no brake pressure at all.

so while im waiting for all the parts to come in, i decided my factory exhaust was still horrible looking, so i polished the pipes all the way back to the muffler and then painted the muffler black. i think it turned out pretty good. also my car is sitting kind of "off" since my rear suspension is being held together with hopes and dreams right now.

as of right now, that is the story of me and a mr2 that needed a little help. once the calipers arrive and my friend gets back into town, we are going to spend a few days getting everything fixed and this car back on the road where it belongs. oh i also ordered a "cd box" as it was called. the storage compartment that sits between the seats. should have it in a few days.

before i end this chapter, heres a little about the author. that grey toyota truck up there was bought brand new by my dad in 1989. 5 speed of course. its what i learned to drive in. i then bought my first car, a 1992 celica gt. it was a piece of crap, but i loved that car. ive since owned slammed honda civics, 240sxs, an infiniti q45, a few mkIII supras but i have horrible luck with them everytime i get one. and now im right back at the beginning, driving the old 89 truck since my dad finally got something new. i do love some old toyotas, and i intend to have this mr2 for a long time, and ill be constantly wrenching on it and trying to improve it. ill be posting updates to the thread when the suspension and brakes get finished.

if youve made it this far reading, you have my thanks.

edit: oh i almost forgot, it also had the electric antennae held in by some metal wire that was just wrapped around it, and it had some ill fitting seal at the top that had a ford symbol on it. fantastic work.
      Attached Thumbnails
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034_zpsfba4877d.jpg 
Views:	N/A 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	30951  
      Quelle: http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/98827-new-guy-with-a-new(to-me)-91-mr2?goto=newpost